Studying with a disability and chronic disease

Carefree studying is nice, but unfortunately not always possible. For some students, everyday life is a particular challenge. Eleven percent of students have to master their studies with and despite physical or health impairments. Are you one of them?

Students with a disability and chronic disease

... are students with impairments

  • their mobility
  • their sight
  • their hearing
  • their speech

but also students with

  • mental illnesses (e.g. eating disorders, depression)
  • chronic diseases (e.g. rheumatism, Crohn's disease or diabetes)
  • dyslexia and other partial performance disorders


Studentin mit Blindenschrift

Here you will find support

... at the universities and at the city!

The representative advises students, staff and applicants at Leibniz Universität Hannover (LUH) on all issues relating to "studying with a handicap" (coping with everyday life at university, compensation for disadvantages, organising exams, internships, etc.). The confidential counselling sessions take place in the offices of the ZSB, which can be reached barrier-free.

Contact person: Christiane Stolz Tel. (05 11) 7 62-32 17

To the website

The ptb offers a semester-long group for students who, after a severe mental health crisis - often associated with inpatient or partial hospitalization treatment - need practical, study-related help to successfully cope with the demands of their studies. Topics covered include: Study organization, time planning and implementation of the semester, teaching study-relevant work techniques and dealing with medication. Within the group "Accompanying help for mentally healthy students" there is space and time for an exchange of experiences and the possibility of contacting students who are also affected.

The offer is a supplement, not an alternative to outpatient psychotherapy. Individual counselling is possible if required. Registration is possible throughout the year after a preliminary discussion. Students with limited mobility are asked to inform us of this when making an appointment.

Tel. (05 11) 7 62-37 99

To the website

The IBS provides important information in the handbook "Study and Disability", which can be ordered barrier-free. It is a contact point for prospective students, students, advisors, employment agencies, associations, counselling centres and interest groups. It regularly organises seminars on career entry for students shortly before graduation. If you have any questions, please contact the Information Office by phone or email.

Tel. (0 30) 29 77-27 64

To the website

The Technical Information Library (TIB) has set up a workroom at its Conti-Campus location for students from all Hanover universities with visual impairments and for blind students. At a PC with internet access, texts can be scanned and reproduced in Braille, with larger type or by voice output, or printed out in Braille or in black and white. A reader with camera allows texts to be magnified up to 36 times and displayed on a 32ʺ monitor.

The workstation must be reserved by telephone.

To the website


Participate in university sports with a handicap? That's possible: with the Buddy Project of the Center for University Sports. Students and employees with a handicap who cannot do sports without support team up with a buddy and can thus participate in university sports. Any person without limitations who would like to support fellow students or colleagues with a handicap can become a Buddy.

To the website

In the Hannover Region there are around 600 self-help groups in which people exchange information on a wide range of illnesses, disabilities or problems and support each other.

KIBIS helps interested people to find a suitable self-help group and accompanies the foundation of new self-help groups. A database with an index of existing groups in the Hannover region and further information can be found on the KIBIS homepage.

Tel. (05 11) 66 65 67

To the website

Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts provides advice on the following topics:

  • Partial exemption from semester fees
  • Borrowing of aids
  • Compensation for disadvantages during exams

If you do not find the answers to your questions, please contact the Hochschule Hannover directly.

Contact person: Stephanie Heine Tel.: (0511) 9296 7427

The SBS advises prospective students, students and employees of Hannover University of Applied Sciences and Arts (HsH) on questions relating to studying with disabilities. In addition, it manages the pool of aids from which aids can be borrowed or applied for and supports students in projects and initiatives.

Contact person: Stephanie Heine Tel. (05 11) 92 96-74 27

Mobile: 01573 7827675

To the website

Selbstbestimmt Leben Hannover e. V. (SLH) was founded by people with disabilities who are involved in counselling disabled people. The counselling works according to the "peer counselling method": affected people are advised by people who are also affected. Topics of the counselling can be, among others:

  • Assistance (professional and private)
  • Social law
  • health
  • (Self-) awareness issues
  • Psychological questions
  • Student counselling

Herrenstraße 8A, 30159 Hanover Phone (05 11) 3 52 25 21 Fax (05 11) 2 71 62 15

To the website

The Commissioner for People with Disabilities is committed to a barrier-free Hanover in which people with different disabilities can live in a self-determined manner. Blind and other sensory impaired people are included as well as physically, mentally or emotionally handicapped people.

It is not always easy to keep track of the assistance system for people with disabilities at both local and supra-local level. The commissioner acts as a link between the administration and those affected, on the one hand by providing people with disabilities with assistance and information, and on the other hand by working to ensure that people with disabilities in Hanover can participate in public life on an equal footing.

Contact: Andrea Hammann Tel. (05 11) 1 68-4 69 40

To the website

Students and other university members who would like to escape the hectic everyday university life for a while can visit the "Room of Silence". This room, located on the ground floor of the main building, offers space to relax.

To the website | Videos of the Roomof Silence

BAföG for students with a handicap

Are there special provisions for students with disabilities?

The BAföG takes into account the special situation of students with disabilities through various provisions. A prerequisite for receiving BAföG is that the educational needs are not fully covered by the student's own income or assets or by the income of a spouse, registered partner or parents. A disability has an effect here because an additional hardship allowance is applied when determining the parents' income upon application. Not only a disability of the student is taken into account, but also that of a parent or another dependent family member.

Students who are older than 45 years of age at the beginning of their studies generally do not receive BAföG. Exceptions apply if there is evidence that the studies could not be started in time due to illness or disability.

In addition, if there is a serious reason, it is possible to receive funding beyond the maximum funding period. For this purpose, applicants must prove in each individual case by how much their studies have been prolonged due to their disability. As a rule, a medical certificate must be submitted. If funding is provided beyond the maximum funding period, BAföG is granted in full as a grant for this time, which does not have to be repaid.

When repaying, students with disabilities can apply for disability-related expenses to be taken into account. This increases the income limit up to which repayment is exempted.

You still have questions? We are happy to help!

Suchen & Finden