Direkt zu den Speiseplänen


www.studentenwerk-hannover.de Logo StwH

Exemption from Broadcasting Contribution Fees

For each home, a fixed flat rate of € 17.50 per month has to be paid. For general information on this, go to the Broadcasting Contribution Fees page in our website’s Rooms & Residence section.

If you receive social or welfare benefits you may be eligible for an exemption from paying broadcasting contribution fees. This is true in particular in the following cases:
- you receive BAföG and do not live with your parents,
- for recipients of unemployment benefit II or social allowance benefits,
- for recipients of social welfare benefits or basic subsistence benefits ("Grundsicherung"),
- for recipients of assistance to blind people according to § 72 German Code of Social Law XII.

Students parents who do not receive any social or welfare benefits for themselves may be eligible for exemption if their child/children receive any such benefits.

People with severe disabilities only have to pay one third of the contribution fee (€ 5.83) if their Severe Disability Pass contains the "RF" classification. As before, deaf-blind people are fully exempted.

The exemption application has to be handed in in writing to the public broadcasting "Beitragsservice von ARD, ZDF und Deutschlandradio", 50439 Köln. Application forms for this can be found at your local citizens' office or in the Internet (go to the following page for the Antrag auf Befreiung vom Rundfunkbeitrag, in German). You have to include your current BAföG letter of approval (BAföG-Bescheid), either the original or an authenticated copy, with the application. If you share a flat/house, you also have to name your flatmates/housemates.

For married couples living together (e.g., in a shared flat): The exemption for BAföG recipients also includes the spouse or registered life partner as defined by the Civil Partnership Act. For couples living together that are not married or have not registered a civil partnership, the non-exempted partner has to pay the full contribution fee.

For all those sharing a flat or a house ("WG"): Please do not try to "trick" the authorities by claiming that only the—exempted—BAföG recipient of your "WG" is liable to pay the household contribution fee for your home alone and therefore no one else has to pay. No, this does not work! In this case, the other students sharing are still mutually liable for the contribution fee.

§ 4 of the German Interstate Broadcasting Contribution Fee Agreement (Rundfunkbeitragsstaatsvertrag—RBStV) includes a full list of all applicable exemptions and reductions.

For more information, please visit www.rundfunkbeitrag.de (in German); you can also find the application form for exemption from contribution fees there (Antragsformular für die Befreiung von der Beitragspflicht, also in German).

If you have any further questions, please contact the Social Advice Centre at the Studentenwerk. We will be happy to help you.



Studentenwerk Hannover
Social and International Affairs Dept.

Lodyweg 1 C
30167 Hannover

Phone +49 511 76-88 919
Phone +49 511 76-88 922
Phone +49 511 76-88 935
Fax +49 511 76-88 927

Consulting Times