Direkt zu den Speiseplänen


www.studentenwerk-hannover.de Logo StwH

Social Insurances

Students with a job might possibly be subject to social insurance contributions and therefore also obliged to pay for unemployment and pension insurance. Instead of the regular student health insurance fee they have to pay a contribution in agreement with their work contract and their income.

A compulsory coverage depends on the fact whether the employees' time and and labour are mainly occupied by his/her studies. The following kinds of jobs are exempted from contributions for unemployment, health and long-term care insurance:

  • jobs that are restricted to the semester breaks,
  • short-term jobs that are restricted to three months or 70 working days maximum per year (without regard to the amount of working hours and wage),
  • jobs that require a working time of no more than 20 hours per week during the semester and which may exceed these working hours only during the semester break (so-called "student temp provision").

If students have several short-term jobs during the calendar year, those are added up as well. If the time restriction should be exceeded, a compulsory coverage starts.

Pension insurance contributions are regulated as follows:
Employed students are liable to pay pension insurance contributions if their employment exceeds the limits of the current directive for the evaluation of marginal employment pursuant to insurance law.
Marginal employment is defined as follows:

  1. marginally paid jobs (€ 450 per month Maximum = mini-job)
  2. short-term jobs (less than 70 working days, or three months per year, respectively).

If students have several marginal employments, those are added up. As long as the income does not exceed € 450 per month, they stay exempted from paying the insurances noted above.

For an income above the lower earnings limit of € 450,01 up to € 1 300 there is a sliding pay-scale. Within this pay-scale, increasing insurance contributions are payable according to the income.

In order to receive a pension at old age, contributions must have been made to the pension insurance during working life. This is called contribution period. The subsequent pension can also include certain non-contributory periods. These periods can affect the claim and the size of the pension. They include periods of training at schools or colleges and universities after the 17th year. There are only 3 years (36 months) creditable against the pension, though. If the period of training exceeds this period, which is usually the case, those 36 months which are chronologically the longest ago are taken into account.

Furthermore, students can also acquire contribution periods during their periods of training, if they pay pension insurance contributions while working. If jobs with a compulsory coverage lie within the creditable three years, the pension insurance institution will check later on whether these jobs are more beneficial as creditable time or as contribution period.

Another important note concerning health and long-term care insurance: Students who benefit from a family insurance via parents or spouse lose this free insurance cover if they regularly earn more than € 445 (with a mini-job it is € 450) per month (this limit may be exceeded unexpectedly for two times within twelve months). Everyone who earns more must take out a student health insurance of one’s own!

For further information please contact the Social Advice Centre at the Studentenwerk.



Studentenwerk Hannover
Social and International Affairs Dept.

Lodyweg 1 C
30167 Hannover

Phone +49 511 76-88 919
Phone +49 511 76-88 922
Phone +49 511 76-88 935
Fax +49 511 76-88 927

Consulting Times