Direkt zu den Speiseplänen


www.studentenwerk-hannover.de Logo StwH

Studying with Disabilities

The study situation of students with disabilities and chronic illnesses has surely improved in the last years. Still, the universities are far from being fully accessible.

Here is an overview of the most significant advice and support services (please note that most links will lead you to contents in German).

Central Course Guidance Service (ZSB—Zentrale Studienberatung)

Contact for "Studying with disability": Ms. Christiane Stolz,
The ZSB offers advice to current and prospective students on many questions in relation to "Studying with a disability" (i. e. managing everyday student life, compensations for disadvantages, organising examinations, internships etc.). Consultations take place in the ZSB offices, which can be reached barrier-free, and are strictly confidential.

Social Advice Centre of the Studentenwerk 

To current and prospective students with disabilities and chronic diseases, our Social Advice Centre offers advice on how to finance studies as well as support for many other concerns (compensation of disadvantages in exams, assistants etc.)

Counselling Service for Students with Disabilities or Chronic Diseases  
by the AStA of Leibniz University

The AStA (students' union) of Leibniz University of Hanover advises affected students in person, by phone and by e-mail. Visit www.asta-hannover.de/asta/sb-stellen/teilhabe/ for more information on its offers.

Psychological Counselling for Students
(ptb Psychologisch-therapeutische Beratung)

The ptb counselling service offers a group during the semester for students who need practical, study-related assistance in order to meet academic requirements successfully after a serious psychological crisis—often associated with in-patient or day-patient treatment. The following topics are included: study organisation, scheduling and realisation of the semester’s course work, coaching on study-related working methods and use of medicines. The group offers space and time for exchanging experiences and getting in contact with other affected students. The group is a complementary, not an alternative offer to outpatient psychotherapy. If necessary, individual counselling can be arranged. After a preliminary talk, you can sign up for the group throughout the year.

Selbstbestimmt Leben Hannover e. V.
(Interest group for Independent Living)

The interest group "Selbstbestimmt Leben Hannover e.V." (Independent Living) was founded by people with disabilities who are actively involved in counselling people with disabilities. Counselling works according to the "Peer Counselling" method: Affected people are counselled by likewise affected. Topics include:
• Assistance (professionally and personally)
• Social Law
• Health
• Questions for building (self-) awareness
• Psychological issues

Information and Advice Centre "Studies and Disability"
(IBS—Informations- und Beratungsstelle Studium und Behinderung) of Deutsches Studentenwerk

The IBS Information and Advice Centre offers crucial information, tips and a collection of basic legal provisions on its websites at www.studentenwerke.de and www.internationale-studierende, page: Students with Disabilities.
It regularly organizes seminars on "Beginning to study" for prospective students and on "Starting a career" for students just before graduation. Those interested can send questions by phone, letter or e-mail to the IBS Information and Advice Centre. IBS also supports local events of universities and Studentenwerke (student services organisations). IBS acts as a point of contact for prospective and current students, counsellors, counselling agencies and interest groups, state employment agencies and associations. It provides a Web portal for sharing information, exchanging views and communicating events.

Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities of the City of Hannover

Ms. Andrea Hammann, Andrea.Hammann(at)Hannover-Stadt.de 
The Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities is committed to a barrier-free Hanover where people with different disabilities can live independently. She is contact and spokesperson for blind and other sensory-impaired people as well as people with other physical, mental or psychological disabilities. The support system for people with disabilities is not very transparent both on the local and on the regional and national level. The Commissioner shall exercise a pivotal liaison role between administration and affected persons. On the one hand, it is her task to convey support services and information to persons with disabilities. On the other hand, she has to work towards the goal of persons with disabilities participating with equal opportunities in public life in Hanover.

Assistance for students with visual impairments at the library TIB

The University Library TIB (Technical Information Library) has set up a workspace for students who have visual impairments. It is accessible for students of all Hanover universities and is situated at the TIB Conti-Campus (Königsworther Platz 1). On a PC with internet access, texts can be scanned and then reproduced in a larger font and as voice output, or printed in Braille or ink print. There is also a reader with camera, so that texts can be enlarged up to 36-fold on a 24" monitor. A brief technical introduction is mandatory to all interested users—please reserve an appointment for this with Ms. Sander, Rita.Sander(at)tib.eu. Afterwards, you can use the workspace freely during regular opening hours. It is recommended to reserve it via the information desk (phone +49 511 762-8119). More information at the TIB website

Place of retreat in the Leibniz University: the Room of Silence

Students and other university members who would like to escape the hectic pace of everyday university life for some time can go to the "Room of Silence" ("Raum der Stille"). This room is located in the basement of the main building and offers a place to relax.
For more information, see www.uni-hannover.de/de/universitaet/campus-stadt/raum-der-stille/.

Living Adapted to the Needs of Students with Disabilities at Studentenwerk

The Studentenwerk Hannover offers barrier-free accommodation places to students with disabilities in its student houses Nobelring, Callinstraße and Ritter-Brüning-Straße. For more information, refer to page Barrier-free Living at Studentenwerk.

BAföG & Disabilities

Within BAföG (student loans & grants), the special situation of students with disabilities is taken into account through various provisions. For more information, please refer to the German page Behinderung und BAföG.

Contact, Information and Advice Service for Self-help Groups
(KIBIS = Kontakt-, Informations- und Beratungsstelle im Selbsthilfebereich)

There are numerous self-help groups in Hanover for people with disabilities for exchanging experiences and supporting each other. KIBIS helps those interested in finding a suitable self-help group and supports the establishment of new groups. The KIBIS website offers an overview of existing support groups in the various parts of Hanover.




Studentenwerk Hannover
Social and International Affairs Dept.

Lodyweg 1 C
30167 Hannover

Phone +49 511 76-88 919
Phone +49 511 76-88 922
Phone +49 511 76-88 935
Fax +49 511 76-88 927

Consulting Times