Direkt zu den Speiseplänen


www.studentenwerk-hannover.de Logo StwH

6. Applying for a Residence Permit

For your study visit in Germany you need a residence permit which you will receive at your local foreigners' registration office. This electronic "residence title for specific purposes" comes as a chip card.

If you live within the city of Hanover, please contact the

Ausländerbehörde der Landeshauptstadt Hannover
Leinstraße 14
30159 Hannover 

You have to make an appointment beforehand!

If you live outside the city of Hanover, but within the Hanover region, please contact the

Ausländerbehörde der Region Hannover
Maschstraße 17
30169 Hannover

For the residence permit you must bring the following documents:

  • rental contract
  • passport
  • current, biometric passport photograph  
  • registration notice from the university ("I-Bescheinigung")
  • proof of health insurance
  • proof of financing
  • money for the charged fees

In order to prolong the residence permit from the 4th semester on, you additionally need:

  • up-to-date proof of performance by the academic examination office and the faculty
    (certificate, which performances you have already rendered and which are still necessary)  
  • certificate about your individual situation by the respective faculty

You will receive further information about the electronic residence permit at the Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge (Federal Agency of Migration and Refugees).



Studentenwerk Hannover
Social and International Affairs Dept.

Lodyweg 1 C
30167 Hannover

Phone +49 511 76-88 919
Phone +49 511 76-88 922
Phone +49 511 76-88 935
Fax +49 511 76-88 927

Consulting Times