Direkt zu den Speiseplänen


www.studentenwerk-hannover.de Logo StwH

2. Opening a Bank Account

In Germany, (regular) payments are usually handled by bank transfer. Not only your semester fee, but also rent, telephone etc. can be comfortably transferred from account to account. As spending non-cash is more and more popular in Germany, too, it is advantageous to own an EC bank card corresponding to your account, anyway.

Many banks offer students (or clients up to a certain age in general) a free giro bank account. Banks and their EC cash points are spread all over Hanover and Germany. Just look for a conveniently located bank and open an account  there. If the account is free only for students, tell the bank that you are a student and produce a registration notice (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung or I-Bescheinigung) as soon as possible. In order to keep the free account, you must show a valid notice at the beginning of each semester.

In order to open an account you need

  • passport
  • registration notice from the university
  • registration notice from the residents' registration office, or the aliens department, respectively.

You can find further details on payment transactions on the "study-in.de" website of the Deutscher Akademisches Austauschdienst (DAAD), on page Money & Bank Accounts

3rd Step »



Studentenwerk Hannover
Social and International Affairs Dept.

Lodyweg 1 C
30167 Hannover

Phone +49 511 76-88 919
Phone +49 511 76-88 922
Phone +49 511 76-88 935
Fax +49 511 76-88 927

Consulting Times